Tuesday, November 14

This picture was taken by the Hubble Telescope in 1984 (okay, I don't actually know the year). It has been dubbed by many as the 'Eye of God'. It's actually a Helix Nebula, which is, if my memory serves correctly from grade 9 science, a cloud of gas and dust caused from the explosion of a star. All the different colours are due to the different gaseous elements, and it's actually the properties of these gases that caused our universe to first come into existence. This particular nebulan extends through a radius of 2.5 lightyars, which is about 23,651,320,000,000 km (remember radius is only half of the entire diameter) - and it's still expanding. Makes you feel kind of small, doesn't it?

5 comments:

gareeb said...

You know what really makes me feel absolutely tinyyy? An ant.

Yeap, I'm a weirdo

Anywho, I seem to keep missing comments - a) it's actually SS's fault but I can't explain how or I'll have to kill you, and b) nah, THIS story was much, much, much, much better.

=))

Pogo said...

Read it and posted a comment on ur blog, thanks so much for sharing.

It's funny, but I'm working on a similar story. It's actually a novel type thing, and it's not about a little boy but a little ~girl~, and what happened to her ~after~ the Hemkunt Sahib got attacked. It probably won't be published for another 10 - 20 years or so, but I just thought it was interesting that ur idea was so similar to mine.

ANYWAYS, back on topic now... things that make me feel small... ~elephants~... yes... o_O

:)

gareeb said...

haha we're opposites - elephants make me feel big =)

But please don't be so mistaken! I didn't write that story.. The link at the bottom of the post will take you back to the SikhSangat post where I got it.. but all the posts have been deleted from the blog it originally came from.

Waheguru.. I can't take credit for that amazing story..

Well, can't wait to read yours =)

Pogo said...

Oh, I see, thank you for clarifying.

Here's another story about 1984, this one is a true account, pretty sad.
http://www.writingcave.com/archives/2005/08/17/revisiting-1984/

Oh, and if you want to read my book, it's going to be a long long looooong wait... lol. I've only just started planning it out, and I don't think I'm going to start writing too much of it until I'm actually a good writer... so maybe when I'm about 25 - about 10 years from now. ;)

I hope you'll write some stories of your own though, or if you have any that you've written already I'd love to read them! :) You know, writer to writer, even tho I'm not really a good writer. :P

Anonymous said...

i m feeling very very small, say more or less equal to nothing